How are you going to help safeguard my property?We will be visiting your property based on the selected visit frequency and check the status of your property, encroachments or any authorized entry. This service will keep you posted on any potential problem and we will notify you upon any sign of encroachment to the property. There are additional array of services offered by us such as fencing or name board set-up at very reasonable prices which further avoids potential trouble makers and trespassers. We ensure further security of your property by providing encumbrance certificates.

When you suspect any encroachment to my property what actions would you take?As soon as this comes to our attention, we will escalate it to you immediately with details. We may also suggest options to address that issue. You can use the legal firm recommended by us or we will get you the list of legal services to choose one from the list or any other legal support separately available to you to tackle the problem.

Would you go out of the way to use political or other sources to safeguard my property?We are bound by the laws of the land. We do not use any political clout to resolve issues.

What do you need from me to take care of my property?We need to ensure the ownership of the property. We let you know the details after signing up with us. In some cases, if your property requires permission to access, we need your authorization letter. We will seek those information on need basis.

If some of your required documents are with my India Contacts, can you get it from them?Yes. We will accommodate your request based on your convenience. Either we will visit them to collect those information or they can provide us at our Chennai office.

How frequently you visit my property?You can determine the frequency while enrolling for the service.

After each visit how do I get the report?After each visit, we will upload the report for your property. You can access your property reports on our website using your login credentials. So, with us your are not too far from your property.

What can I see on a report?It depends on the package you have opted to buy. You will get the neighbourhood reports such as the educational institutions, entertainment centers, hospitals, shopping, transportations, updated current government rate, market value and digital pictures.

Can you provide legal services such as verifying the ownership of the Property?Yes. You can purchase Encumbrance Certificate service with us to verify the ownership of the property. This would require a copy of sale deed of the property.

Can you apply for Patta/Khata document?Yes. You can purchase Patta/Khata service with us to apply for this service. This would require copy of sale deed document or other documents depending on the state and the local offices.

Can you make arrangements to fence the property if need be?Yes. This is one of our array of additional service. We would get you the quotes from multiple vendors for your property. Upon your selection and the confirmation of the payment, we will initiate the service. This service mandates ownership verification.

I want to pay my property tax for my property. Can I use your service to pay?Yes. We do this service. This would require either a copy of your previous property bill or a copy of the sales deed.

I am planning to buy a plot. I wanted to assess the property from my perspective? Can you help with that?Yes. We assess the property from your (buyer) perspective by understanding your expectations and providing the pros and cons, the current market value, neighbourhood information etc.,

I am planning to sell my plot. I wanted to assess the prospects? Can you help with that ?Yes. We provide a very professional unbiased report on the current state of your property. We will let you know the pros and cons.

How do you ensure confidentiality of my information?We do not really keep any information unless otherwise absolutely necessary. Your information is protected and it is accessible only to the field manager who is managing the property. Our field manager’s and field rep’s selection process is very rigorous. They are very reliable and trustworthy. The field reps would access your property info only through the Ids and we keep shuffling the field reps to different properties.

Can you provide the appreciated value of the plot and the surrounding area in general?Yes. We will get you the government rate and market rates.

What is the methodology used to calculate appreciated value of the property?With inputs from the respective government offices and the recent sales activities in the area, we determine the market value.

How can I contact my assigned Field manager?You can send an email from our website by selecting the specific property. Also, you can contact them during business hours (IST).

Why would I need a property management company for my property?

With a property management company you manage your property virtually from the comfort of your house.

I have lot of friends and relatives in Chennai, who will help me – in that case why should I prefer propertychennai.com?

As we all feel the age old method of falling back on friends and relatives to do the job for you does not work as efficiently in modern times and often causes a rift between relations. Everyone wanted to have their property managed by the subject matter experts. Propertychennai.com employs qualified personnel to do the homework for you, thus saving your family the trouble and stress of running from pillar to post.

How do I register for the Service?

To register with our company you need to create a login and password, and pay the minimum prescribe fees. Our user friendly website will prompt you for a login.

Do I have to file application form online?

Yes. Application process is done online through our website.

My parents have the power of attorney? Do I have to get their signature?

We need the proof of property ownership to undertake the service. If your parents or other family members have the power to provide those information and authorization, we would obtain it from them.

Do you take credit cards?

Yes. We honor all major credit cards. Payment can be made through Paypal.

Will my personal information be available to the public?

No. Access to the records are routed only through the login. Hence your security is ensured.

How long does the registration process take?

The registration process takes approximately 10 minutes.

Can I create my own login, password?

Yes. Our home page prompts you to create your own login and password.

What are the password requirements that I should follow while creating my own password?

You may create a password between 6 and 10 characters. Passwords are case sensitive.

How do I change my password?

To change your password click on the link that says ‘Change password’ in “My Accounts” -> “My Profile” . The system will prompt you for a new password.

What do I do if I forgot my password?

If you forget your password, click on the link “Forgot Password”. This would guide you to recover your password or reset the password.

Which form should I use for the selected services?

On logging in you will be prompted to enter the services you wish to avail. On clicking on the relevant link you can fill up the appropriate form.

Do I have to provide my personal information each time if I opted to sign-up for another service?

No. While signing up for an additional service, you are required to provide only the information related to the additional service.

How do I submit my change of address?

After logging in you can click on “My Accounts” -> “My Profile” and change your address.

Will you upload my property documents online ?

Yes. Your property reference documents are loaded online. You can access them any time by logging in.

Can I give user name and password to my parents or brothers or sisters who can also see the progress?

It is not recommended to share the passwords and logins.

How many login accounts can I get. Is there a limitation on the number of login accounts ?

You are entitled to one login account plus one spouse’s login account. However the spouse is required to complete the registration process including signing the privacy statement.

What is your company’s contact address?

Our address is available via the “Contact Us” link on the home page.

What are your hours of operation?

Our office hours are M-F 10 am to 6 pm, Sat 10am to 4pm(IST)

How do I get on your mailing or email list if I am not a customer?

Once you have registered with us, we treat you as our prospective customer. So you will be on our mailing list automatically.

How do you communicate your new service offerings to your customers?

Through our monthly newsletters which are mailed to all our customers.

Do you share our contact details with any provider for marketing activities?


Do you send us emails on any promotional activities?


Do you provide any newsletters?

Yes. We issue monthly newsletters with information related to property management.

What gets covered in the newsletters in general?

Our newsletter covers general news relevant to the construction industry and our promotional offers.

What is the frequency of the newsletters?

Currently it is a monthly issue.

Why can’t I manage my property myself?

All the effort and time involved in the property management makes it a tedious task to handle. We take care of the hard work for you.

What sort of properties do you manage?

We manage construction flats, plots and rental residential properties.

You are new to this Industry? What makes you think you can do a better job than others who are in this Business already?

No, We understand the current service level expectations. Hence we’ve developed a team which meets the customer’s expectations with trust, transparency and service process driven model.

How do you protect my personal information from everyone?

We do not ask for any sensitive information during this process. We request only the very necessary information. All your information is accessible only through the login, which is in turn password protected.

Where in India you offer these services?

These services are offered currently in areas around Chennai, India.

Do you have your own legal team or access to your legal team?

Yes. We have an accessible legal team.

Can you provide legal services in Property area?

Yes. We do provide legal services in property area. Based on the need, legal team will assist you. The service charges will be determined based on the service request.

No more in Tamilnadu Registration

Whether any person can write deeds and present for registration. Will it be legally accepted?

Yes if they uses model deeds hosted in the website.  For Sale deeds Seller of the property and for other deeds any person executing an instrument can write the instrument.  All such instruments shall be admitted by the sub registrars and these instruments will have same evidentiary value as that of written by licensed document writers and Lawyers.

Is there any guide book to assist a layman in writing instruments?

Some of the formats of commonly used instruments are available on the website as download.  These formats have been designed after studying various instruments.  It has been ensured to incorporate all essential ingredients of instruments. Registration Hand book is also available in the market.

Normally, it is noticed that there is a shortage of stamp paper, as a result, registration is delayed. Is there any way out?

It is true that artificial scarcity is created in the market by some of the stamp vendors so that they can charge some extra amount over and above face value. All the stamp vendors have been warned against such practices. Licenses of a few of them have been cancelled. A wide publicity about availability of stamp papers in Sub Registrar Offices has also been given. In select offices franking machines are available through which stamp duty could be paid.

E-Stamping facility is available to all the Sub Registrar of the Chennai zone. Any body can purchase E-Stamp of any value from the branches of Corporation Bank, Central Bank of India and Indian Bank.

In case of real scarcity, stamp duty can even be paid in cash/D.D. Any instrument can be written on a plain paper and presented for registration. The Sub Registrar, on receipt of paper will collect stamp duty in cash/D.D. and he will add a certificate to that effect and register the same. The D.D. should be drawn in favor of the Sub Registrar concerned.

The stamp vendors are charging commission over and above the face value. Even the Commission is not uniform. Is there any rate at which commission should be charged by stamp vendors from parties?

The act of stamp vendors in charging commission is against the rules. Such stamp vendors should be brought to book by the public. It is a fact that stamp vendors get commission for selling stamp papers. But the commission is given by Government, which is included in the face value of stamp paper. Therefore no stamp vendor should charge any amount/commission over and above face value of the stamp paper. Your co-operation in bringing such acts to the notice of the officials of the Department will be highly appreciated.

Invariably, all documents presented for registration are returned after a long wait. The delay in returning documents causes hardships to public and also leads to other malpractices

Only a few documents, which require charging of stamp duty on market value are normally kept pending for fixing of market value. These documents are sale, exchange, release of benami right, settlement or gift. Even these documents can be registered and returned on the same day provided the value set forth in the document is equal to or higher than the value arrived at by using guideline value and P.W.D. norms for buildings. All other documents should be returned on the same day by the Sub Registrar in the computerised offices. It is also noticed that in some offices, having heavy registration work load, the staff may not complete all the formalities of making entries in Indexes and scanning the document. In such cases, the document should be returned at the earliest possible time, but not later than 3 days. Efforts are being made to further reduce delay by simplifying the process.

“Encumbrance Certificates” are not being issued in time and the staff also do not respond properly to our requests.

It is true that issue of encumbrance certificate takes time, as the entries are searched manually before 1987. From 1987 onwards the indexes are computerised and the encumbrance certificates are issued on the spot. Special counters have been opened to receive applications and certificates are issued on demand without delay. Applications for Encumbrance Certificate can be submitted through Online Application Form and the Encumbrance Certificate will be delivered at your door step.

What is Guideline Value? How to ascertain?

Guideline Value of any land should truly reflect the market value. Guideline values have been fixed for all the areas in the State. Well established residential areas have only street based guideline values. The guideline values have been fixed for survey numbers to the properties which are not formed into street. This will remain unchanged till the next revision. Higher value registration will not have automatic adoption for subsequent registration. This guideline values help the registering officer in the detection of prima facie under valuation of property. In most of the places, the guideline value is lower than the prevailing market value. In a few places, the guideline value may be unreasonably higher than the market value. Such cases should be brought to the notice of the concerned District Registrar, Deputy Inspector General of Registration and Inspector General of Registrations for correction of anomalies. There is a committee at State levelwhich finally approves reduction in such issues after perusing the recommendation of the Sub Committee headed by concerned District Collectors.

The guideline values are hosted on the website http://www.tnreginet.net. The latest guideline value we are now following came into effect from 01-04-2012. The guideline value is a public document. In offices having STAR facility the guideline values can be ascertained free of cost for any property on the counters.

What is an encumbrance certificate? Why do we need?

The encumbrance certificate contains all the transactions registered relating to particular property for a period (as required). It is advisable to get encumbrance certificate before effecting any transactions as it will give information about previous transactions. This will also help in arriving at proper entitlement of the property.

Is there any time limit prescribed for return of document? If so, what is the monitoring mechanism?

Yes. The following time limit for return of documents have been prescribed.

  • The documents not requiring inspection by registration department officials same day. In auspicious days it is not possible to return the document on  the same day because of work load. But in any way they have to return the document within 3 days.
  • The documents requiring inspection of building alone time limit for referring – 15 days
  • The documents requiring inspection to find out whether it is site or agri land and this is compulsory if the area is below 10 cents and the guideline has agriculture value for the  particular survey number – 21 days
  • The time taken by SDC (Stamps) in fixation of market value will be – 4 month (maximum).

What is the definition of “family” for availing concession in stamp duty under the Indian Stamp Act?

The family member includes father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter and grand child. Government issued orders as sisters and brothers are also come under family. The family members can get the concession on stamp duty and registration fee for the deeds of settlement and partition among themselves. The rate for family member is 1 % stamp duty subject to maximum of Rs 10,000/- and 1 % Registration Fee subject to maximum of Rs 2,000/- ( For partition deeds the above duty and fee is for one share ie for a single person).

How to find out the stamp duty payable?

The website contains a process for calculation of stamp duty. Even counters in sub registrar offices have been opened for replying to such queries.

There have been cases of impersonations in the past. What are the measures contemplated by the Department to prevent such practices?

Even though the sub registrars have been asked to satisfy themselves about the identity of executants, yet some persons manage to escape from the eyes of the registering officer. The following are the measures taken by the Department to prevent impersonation
(i) Photos of the seller/buyer are affixed
(ii) Finger prints of executants are obtained
(iii) Photos and Finger prints of the witnesses also recorded in the Powerdeed.

Whether any registration can be cancelled by the Sub Registrar or superior officers on the grounds of impersonation/misrepresentation of facts?

A transaction can be nullified by concerned Civil Court. But affected persons can file a petition with concerned District Registrar with evidence. Concerned District Registrar will enquire the petition and initiate prosecution only for the offence committed under Section 82 of the Indian Registration Act, 1908.

What is the remedy available against the order passed by SDC fixing market value? An appeal can be preferred with the Inspector General of Registration, Chennai 28. The fixation of market value will be done by I.G.R and the value may even be higher than the value fixed by the SDC (Stamps).

Return of document from sub registrar is a very unpleasant experience. Is there any way out?

All the sub registrars have been requested to return the document by post if the parties have expressed willingness and submitted an envelope duly stamped at the time of registration. This facility can be availed by you.

Why do the registering officer insist on production of Chitta, Adangal, FMB sketch, etc.,?

All these revenue records, viz, adangal, chitta, FMB, are needed in deciding the title, usage of land, etc. This is required only if readily available with you. In the absence, the registering officer cannot compel you. All these records will not be insisted upon after the process of computerisation in revenue offices is over and connectivity between Revenue and Registration Departments is established.

What is STAR?

STAR – Simplified Transparent Administration of Registration – is a software package developed by National Informatics Center, Chennai and in house people to deliver quality services to the registrants. It is only due to “STAR”, Encumbrance Certificates, Certified Copies of documents, valuation statements are issued on the counters in no time. This has not only reduced the processing time and work load in office but also has resulted in satisfaction to registrants. Archival of documents by scanning, indexing, accounts, etc are some of the jobs which are attended by this package.

Can I get the required information directly from the Sub-Registrar?

Yes. the registering officer is required to give any sort of information regarding registration.

What are all the documents required for registration of Hindu Marriage?

i ) Both the parties should be Hindus.
ii) Age at the time of marriage �
18 years for bride
21 years for bridegroom
iii) Proof of Marriage
iv) Proof of Age, residence.

What are the precautions one should take before enrolling in a chit?

Ensure that the Company, is a genuine one and the Chit group is registered one. You have right to demand copy of bye laws from the foreman.

Where can I get the birth/death Extract?

The details of birth/death in Urban areas are available with the Local bodies concerned and the details of birth/death in rural areas are available with Sub-Registrar.

What is the e-mail address for addressing any queries?


I am the purchaser of the property. I am denied to receive back the document. Why?

The document after registration will be returned to the person who presents the document for registration or to the person authorized by him on the counterfoil of the receipt. Hence it is advised that the buyer may present the document for registration or get the authorization in his favor at the time of registration.

Where a marriage performed can be registered under the Tamilnadu Registration of Marriage Act?  What are all needed?

The marriges performed under any religion/ non-customary can be filed with the Sub Registrar where the marriage is performed.

  • Memorandum (application) should be filed in duplicate.
  • Requirements of personnel law should be fulfilled.
  • Bride and bridegroom may be from any religion but should be citizen of India.
  • Memorandum should be filled with Sub Registrar within 90 days of marriage.
  • With payment of fine it can be filled in the next 60 days.
  • Proof of marriage, age, residence, individual identity card for both and for two witnesses, passport size photo for bride and bridegroom 4+4  required.

The marriages performed in Tamilnadu only can be filed. The memorandum should be filed with the Sub Registrar in whose jurisdiction the place of Solemnization belongs.

I am from Tamil Nadu right now working in US, I wanted to buy a land in Tamil Nadu and register it into my name. My brother told me that I should be present in person to sign at the registrar�s office which is not possible. Is there any way can I register it in my name without my presence?

There is a need that the seller and purchaser should sign the document and appear before the registering officer for registration. But this could be done without your physical presence, by authorizing an attorney here to do this activity on behalf of you . For this you need to execute a Power of Attorney there attested by a Notary / Vice Council in a Indian Embassy attached there, which has to be adjudicated with any District Registrar here. Based on this power your attorney can act.

If anybody puts a higher value greater than given in a guideline for his document, the Sub Registrar is forcing to follow that higher value for the next document to be registered in the same survey number.

It is not needed. The basic guideline value will be applicable until the next revision unless and otherwise the nature of land does not change ie from agri to site. The Sub Registrar are issued guidelines not to insist higher values and if they insist you can approach concerned District Registrar for remedy or you can lodge complaint with grivcell@tnreginet.net.

Where to approach if anybody demands bribe in Sub Registrar / District Registrar offices directly or through Document Writer or Broker?

You can lodge complaint through grivcell@tnreginet.net . You can get remedy from concerned District Registrar / Deputy Inspector General of Registration by lodging complaint by phone or by letter. The phone number is available in our website